Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Break!!

Here's what's new in my life:

Well my 3rd week of student teaching is over half done and Spring break is only 2 sleeps away!!!  It's just as exciting as a teacher as when I was a student.  There's something about the anticipation of a holiday that is really great.  Some of the teachers at my placement school are going on a trip to France for spring break which is pretty great (for them at least).  The extent of my holiday time is to drive out to Calgary for a bit of a visit with some old friends.  That's pretty great too!!!  I'm really excited to get back together with Rayna, Michael and Rhys (their 2 year old son).  Rayna and Michael were my youth pastors way back in the day so I always love spending time with them.  I've even promised to make a batch of authentic Ukranian cheese & potatoe perogies while I'm out there so that should be fun too.  I will be driving out with my parents, brother and brother's friend (who's pretty much like a brother) so that drive shouldn't be too bad and we'll be there by supper on saturday night.  I"m excited:)

Besides the anticipation of Spring Break, school has been pretty fun so far.  It's really neat being in a class with such a different focus and style.  The students direct much more of what happens on a daily basis and it's all about experiential learning rather than learning the facts.  Trying to make the tasks and projects relevant to something the kids are interested in.  THere is usually a big range of topics to choose from (the kids actually choose for themselves).  The teacher has a very different style from what I experienced in my last placement but it's great to learn and observe in a new setting.  I am definitely seeing some things that I want to apply in my class one day but also some things that I won't do because they're just not my style.  It's been a good placement though so far.  I am learning lots just about the world around me too, not just teaching stuff.  The kids have a 'tree test' this week which pretty much means we'll go on a walk in the neighbourhood as a class and the teacher will ask the kids to identify trees as we walk by them (with the proper latin names).  Learning the latin names and being able to identify the trees of this city has been a highlight for me in the last week.

Those are just a few of the going-ons of my life.  Nothing too exciting or special but I'm okay with some 'status quo' living for now.  Camp is quickly coming up so that will be 4 months of adventure and new things:)

Take care for now.


No comments: