Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cravings

hello all: It's been a little while since I said hello...so here it is, HELLO!





Last Sunday afternoon I had this craving for pumpkin pie...it's probably my favorite type of pie and there are obviously none for sale at the store this time of year so I decided to make one. I even took a few photos along the way because i was so proud of myself for making a pumpkin pie from scratch. I didn't even use a can of filling...frozen pumpkin, home made crust all by myself!!! and in one afternoon. Here is a little photo map of the process:

Proudly showing you the bag of frozen pumpkin that will be transformed into a pie!



While I was making the pie crust I sort of missed the bowl and this was the result...did you know that if an egg hits the floor out of it's shell it won't stay in a nice oval shape!!?!?!


First, forgive my inability to rotate this picture for you...Next notice my enthusiastic expression as I roll out my pie crust!


As the pies enter the oven...yes there was enough filling and crust for TWO 2 pies...


THE FINISHED PRODUCT...So tasty, just add a bit of whipped cream on top!


That was my adventure last weekend. This past week has been busy as I start to settle into my teaching placement. It's a lot of fun and a lot different from my last student teaching placement in the fall. We spend a lot of time outside and just being active which is great for my health but takes a bit of adjustment after the lazy life of a student. Lets just say that I have been in bed by 10pm every day during the week and wished that it could have been sooner:)

This week holds new adventures and fun. We'll be travelling down to Boissevain to learn about organic farming, strawbale houses and how to safely use an axe to chop wood. We'll also be spending a day on the riverbank inspecting duck boxes and installing 8 new ones for Ducks Unlimited. It should be a fun week. I'll actually start teaching as well which i'm looking forward to.

Hard to believe how different my life is compared to 1 year ago when I was ini the middle of my time in Ethiopia. Wow. I'm excited to see where God will lead me in this coming year.

Until later,

3 comments:

RLE said...

Those pies looked good! Hey - can we really get you to make your Ukranian perogies while you are here? Sorry, the pies made me think of it. Michael loves those kind of perogies. I am going to make verenika with my mom the weekend of the 12th as Michael is gone and Rhys and I will go to her house.
Your placement is going to be a huge adventure, hey? Sounds like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

first of all, your hair looks really nice! Though I do like the wild curls as well. You pumpkin pies look yummy too!

Mike said...

Do you realize that COOP has pumpkin pies for sale all year long??? I guess homemade pies are better than store bought, but i dont like pie either way. :)