Halloween was probably one of my most favorite days so far during student teaching. Now usually I'm not really a big halloween fan but this year I helped plan and run a chemistry magic show for all my classes on the day of candy and costumes. I (being the student-teacher who is supposed to be impressing all the staff around) planned the chemistry show and made sure we had everything that was needed and basically hosted the show. There were 5 teachers who worked together to put on a 20 minute magic show for our classes during the five periods of classes on Halloween. It was a blast! Lots of fire and explosions...every person's dream (at least if they're at all interested in Chemistry or science in general). We dressed up in costumes and pretended it was a wizard's school and each 'wizard' had special tricks and talents that they had learnt. The kids seemed to get into it a lot which was great (and I didn't have any lessons to plan-though I quickly realized that this show took a lot more time, energy and effort than any lesson plan I could have put together)...that being said it was really a great time.
Here are a few pictures from the show (I was dressed up as a pirate incase you can't guess...)
We had 'flaming snowballs' that we could juggle. The kids were pretty impressed!
In other teacher news; I am getting to know my students more which makes my days more enjoyable because they are starting to trust me and a relationship of sorts is beginning to develop. It's hard to believe that I'm already starting week 4 (of 5) on Monday...where does the time go? My co-operating teacher is awesome. She pretty much gave me complete control over 2 of her classes (grade 12 Chemistry) for the 5 weeks I am in her class so I get the full experience. Officially, people in my position (1st time placement) are supposed to teach only 2 lessons a WEEK...I teach 2-4 lessons a DAY. It's more work, yes, but the experience is much more beneficial for me to be in there full-time teaching because observation is only good to a certain point. Eventually you have to get infront of the students and start coming up with your own ways of doing things. SO it's really working out well.
Enjoy your weekend!!!
1 comment:
That sounds awesome! I would have loved to have seen your magic show! You looked good BTW, Rhys was a pirate for Halloween too.
You co-op teacher sounds great - you are teaching full-time, that's an insane workload, but I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.
Post a Comment