Thursday, August 20, 2009

I have Arrived

Hi Friends. SO today is day 4 in China for me and so far it is going really well. The honeymoon phase is quite lovely. Except for feeling like I am melting whenever I leave an air conditioned building life is going well. Unfortunately I am not able to access my blog directly, so I need to go through a proxy (don't worry about the techno jargon) which means that right now I can't post any pictures ;( but don't worry! I am working on getting one that I have to pay for which means I will be able to upload pics and show all of you what kinds of things I have seen and done so far. My apartment is far nicer than I could have hoped-marble floors and counters! and a giant king size bed. It is lovely. Food has been really tasty at restaurants (except for McDonald's today, but I don't really like McD's at home either) and I can buy almost anything I want from the supermarkets in Clifford. There are these fantastic 'wet markets' which are kind of like giant farmer's markets with all the fresh produce and fresh meat anyone could ever want. When I say fresh meat, I mean like pick your chicken from the cage and then come back about 15 min later and the chicken will be dressed and in a bag ready for you to pay. Wow, can't find service like that in Canada! So far school has been good. Quite overwhelming at times, but the teachers are all really friendly and helpful and open to making sure I get the help I need. I know I have quite a bit of work ahead of me, but the staff is really supportive and I am looking forward to actually starting my job. It's getting kind of late here, so I should probably head to bed but keep watching because I WILL be posting pictures soon (I hope!) Good nite.

--
Vanessa

2 comments:

Mike said...

I have an idea for how you can post pictures easily. I will send you an email about it.

RLE said...

I am so glad you made it safely and are settling in. Sounds like an amazing place you have. Are you sharing an apartment with Julie or get one to yourself? When do classes actually start? Did you get your own chicken yet to eat? Sounds like so different, but fun!