As promised, here is a recap of my first week in this final teaching practicum....
-the staff is super friendly and helpful. Easy to get along with and so willing to help me with whatever and make sure that my time is as good as possible. I feel like I am welcomed and lunch times in the staff room are always fun, with lots of laughing which is a welcomed break.
-I've started making some connections with students and interacting a bit more with them. My German is still negligible, but you can still tell which students are the trouble makers, which ones are shy and which ones are talking when they should be working:) or listening
-There are several cultural differences that stand out, but most are not really an issue, just something different to get used to
-I haven't watched tv in over a week-and I'm surviving just fine:0
-I had a tour of all the vocational sites that students can go to as GVC students, so today was a field trip PD day. I visited Morris, Altona, Morden and the GVC sites in Winkler.
-I've had supper out one night with a camp friend which was lovely and a break from the constant noise at the house I am living in:)
-The sun was shining today and I got to go for a lovely jog and hear the birds singing.
So overall, things are going quite well. I start teaching on Monday, but only 2/4 classes. Wednesday I add a 3rd and I won't start my 4th class until after Spring Break which is just fine with me. My two EAL classes are going to be a challenge, but that's a good thing I think.
I know the rest of this month is going to fly by with all the school stuff going on. Tuesday is a spirit day (st. paddy's) and then we have early dismissal for parent teacher interviews, and the list goes on. Before I know it, Spring break will arrive and I'll be off for a little visit with friends in the East:) (you know who you are!)
My social life is definitely not be taxed in this practicum, but that means I have no excuse for not getting my planning and marking done. And that really is the plan for my weekend. Some relaxation, reading and enjoying of the outdoors but a good chunk of tomorrow will be spent working on school stuff, I really want to have everything planned out for the week so that I can be working ahead during the week and hopefully take off next weekend for Winnipeg (or home to switch cars-a long story that is best told in person).
Anyways, it's all of 8:45 on a Friday night and I am exhausted. Right now all I want to do is lay down, and watch a movie or read a book. SO I think that's what I'm going to do. Leave school until tomorrow and get some rest. It's Lame I know, but hey it's my life!
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment