Saturday, December 20, 2008

Holidays

So I got back from Calgary Wednesday. I had a lot of fun out there in Calgary playing with an adorable (though sometimes bossy) 3 year old and cuddling to my heart's content with 2 beautiful 6-month olds. Sorry for spoiling them Rayna! Hopefully they've got back into their routine:) I got to spend some time baking some Christmas goodies and we even decorated little gingerbread people to represent the family I was staying with. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate with my hopes of getting out of the city to the mountains or even to the zoo. An arctic system moved in, dumping a chunk of snow and then plummeting temperatures that encouraged hibernation rather than outdoor adventure. It was still a good time and I even managed to meet up with a camp friend who's going to school there which was a nice addition to the trip. Mytravels to and from were fairly uneventful although my return flight ended up being 1 hour late so that made for a long day (got into Winnipeg at 12:40am!)

Since being back in Brandon I've been making the oven work double time and baking up a storm. So far this week I've made mini-mushroom tarts (with cream cheese pastry), piggies in a blanket, banana chocolate chip muffins (not really Christmas baking, but yummy!), mock cherry tarts, ginger snaps, mince meat tarts and mini quiches. There are still a few things on my to-do list with regards to baking but I'm looking forward to it. I love all the baking that goes with the Christmas season!

I still have a few small things to pick up for Christmas gifts, but thankfully it's almost done and I should be able to avoid all the crazy malls and just go to a few small boutiques downtown that won't be so busy:)

My other big event since returning home was volunteering with Operation Red Nose last night. here were no crazy adventures or super entertaining rides but it makes me feel better knowing that a service like that is available to people. Seeing the state of some of those people frightened me thinking about what would happen if they got behind the wheel instead of calling us or a taxi company.

That's about all that's been happening in my life...enjoy the weekend and the celebration of Christ's birth.

Merry Christmas All!

1 comment:

RLE said...

He can be bossy, can't he! Especially lately. Thanks for putting up with him! The kids are all pretty much back into routine and the girls are sleeping longer through the night as I am refusing to get up. It's working! YEAH for mommy.
Glad that your family is benefiting from all your baking now - we are enjoying ours for certain.
Love ya!